I discovered a tree kangaroo that had only been seen once – by the man who shot it in 1928

I want people to be excited about the animals I find and get them involved in conservation

I am a British tourist, and I spend my holidays searching for species that are believed to be extinct. On my last trip to Papua New Guinea in 2022, I found a Louisiade pitta bird, which had been the focus of failed professional expeditions for years. It hadn’t been seen alive since 1898.

We went around playing recordings of a related pitta, which sounds a bit like a chicken being strangled, until we received a reply. Imagine if you went around a haunted house rattling chains and then you heard a ghost rattling them back – that is what it was like.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/Pg7f9ke

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tadej Pogacar completes emphatic debut victory at the Giro d’Italia

Two years after Buffalo mass shooting, an art exhibit focuses on the victims

£1 Thursdays review – nightclubbing, sex talk and big decisions