The moment I knew: on our first date she said she might die in her 30s; we married the next year

Over dinner in the 1980s, Trenna told Greg Mahney about her genetic condition which meant she only had years to live. He decided he wanted to spend whatever time she had left together

I’d seen Trenna a couple of times through mutual friends. At first we showed little interest in each other. She was a smoker and I had a beard, traits that were mutually offputting. But in early January 1988, not long after we’d first been introduced, we found ourselves at the same party. She’d given up smoking as a New Year’s resolution and I’d shaved my beard off in exchange for a keg of beer from a mate.

We got chatting; it was just small talk. But when Trenna’s friend arrived to give her a lift home, she took it upon herself to write down Trenna’s number on a bus ticket and give it to me.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/yC9sfhu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two years after Buffalo mass shooting, an art exhibit focuses on the victims

£1 Thursdays review – nightclubbing, sex talk and big decisions

Eric Trump testifies ‘I don’t recall’ when asked about involvement in Trump Organization valuation - live