‘I started shaking’: Andrew Malkinson on being told he is a free man

Nearly 20 years on from conviction for rape, 57-year-old says he will go travelling – to ‘anywhere that’s not the UK’

It was a moment for which he had waited nearly 20 years, but when Andrew Malkinson’s exoneration finally came on Wednesday his first thought was a very prosaic one: at last he could go on holiday. “The judge said: ‘You can walk away a free man,’ and that’s when I started shaking,” he said in an interview with the Guardian after a hearing that overturned his conviction for the rape of a woman in Greater Manchester in 2003.

“My eyes welled up but I wasn’t ready to start crying. One of the first things I thought was: this means I can go away on holiday.”

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/UHc7yZK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tadej Pogacar completes emphatic debut victory at the Giro d’Italia

Two years after Buffalo mass shooting, an art exhibit focuses on the victims

£1 Thursdays review – nightclubbing, sex talk and big decisions